Various thoughts and activities related to my amateur astronomy interests including telescope making and observing. Plus other stuff that may be on my mind.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Mirror Box Completed...
Finished the rocker and mirror boxes a few days ago. Instead of painting it, my wife and some other ATMs convinced me to leave the wood a natural color. I like the results!!! I used Minwax Gloss Oil Based Polyurethane.
This is a view of the back of the scope. There are two fans to blow air across the surface of the mirror. I also have a fan to blow on the back of the mirror. The top set of fans is controlled by one switch, the single fan that blows on the back of the mirror is controlled by a different switch.
I decided to name the scope "Electa". My wife and I recently got into genealogy and I found out my great, great, great, great, grandmother was named Electa. I thought it was such a great name!
Here is a closeup of the bearing mounting. I decided to use threaded inserts on the mirror box, and finish nuts on the outside. It has a really nice appearance.
The bottom of the scope. Here you see the back fan.