Various thoughts and activities related to my amateur astronomy interests including telescope making and observing. Plus other stuff that may be on my mind.
Monday, September 7, 2009
I finished the bearings. They are 21" in diameter and 1" thick. On the 12.5", I routed some holes to give it a nice look. With these bearings, I decided to try something different. The bearings are made from two 1/2" pieces of baltic birch plywood. I routed similar holes only one of pieces and left the other solid. I think it looks nice. I sanded them so that they are perfectly matched. I plan to work on the secondary ring this week.
Also, I will not be painting these like I did on the 12.5". I plan to keep it natural by putting a layer of clear enamel over it. I think it will look good. The rest of the scope will be the same however.